Wednesday, May 12, 2004

It's embarrassing to be an American these days. If you've been reading the newspapers and e-rags or the other internet chatter from your e-friends and whatever, it's easy to see what I'm talking about. Some of my students, daily, ask me what I think about Iraq, but I just don't understand the scandal. Is there a noble way to rectify that situation? It has turned into the greatest sadomasochistic circus freak show on Earth, starring the rebel Iraqi lion tamers and the Bungling Bros., Rumsfeld & Abu Ghraib military nitwits. Is it possible to say "oops" and leave quietly, like the Spanish who are currently withdrawing their troops?

I don't usually touch such hot topics so directly, preferring to take a more aloof stance about my political bravado, but I've been saddened by the events in that country. In my current circles, politics is just a topic best avoided in mixed company, especially when that mix is international in nature. I can't imagine ever being able to say "I told you so" about any of the Iraq crap, which is about the only motivation my untrained eye can see for our initial presence there. Good luck, America.

I've been sitting on this post for a few days now, waffling about whether I should reveal it or not. Well, there you have it. It will be conveniently buried in my archive in a few weeks.

No comments: