Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Wow, the weather is icy cold here now. One of my coworkers asked me if I had ever lived in weather this cold and I told her I hadn't, which is true. I don't really have any adequate shoes for this kind of slippery-slidy-snowy weather, but I suppose I'll have to purchase some in the next few weeks. We're between three and eight degress below zero every day on the Celsius scale, if you must know. Do your own math if you live in the US.

Snow again today, and not just a light dusting. When I woke up this morning, everything was covered with snow. In fact, it was snowing when I woke up and snowed lightly all through the day. It was a nice theme for the day which, as we approach Christmas, even in China, feels right.

The principal and some of the other officials of the school in which I work had a banquet for all of the foreign teachers yesterday evening, and it was quite good. My five coworkers and me are not the only English teachers at my school. There is also another English department, which doesn't use the Carden Method. I don't know what or how they teach, but I assume they prepare their students to pass the English assessment tests. Anyway, we all received small representations of Chinese Opera masks and nice cards as gifts. It was a wonderful gesture and they have made us all feel welcome since we have arrived.

No comments: