Monday, September 05, 2005

Busy, busy. One more round of travelers arrives on Friday and will stay here with us for one week, which will cap nearly two months of almost uninterrupted visits from friends and family. I'm feeling grouchy and exhausted, but I think I'll make it.

Now that the new school year has begun, and we've came into a whole new group of people in the form of my coworkers to pal around with, I'm discovering how little time I have left over for myself. Teaching Monday through Friday at Haidian Foreign Language Experimental School (where there are some action shots of me teaching, although the English version of the site seems to be malfunctioning so you'll have to finagle some navigational guesswork to see them), tutoring a Korean girl, Susan (who lives in my building), on Monday and Thursday evenings, tutoring a Chinese elementary school student, Pete, on Tuesdays and Fridays and hosting my little open mic show at The Bookworm on Wednesday evenings doesn't leave me with much time for other stuff, like writing and submitting my wonderful poems. Another student is waiting for me to arrange a good time to meet and study English. Angela's in there somewhere and, at least, I still have my weekends free.

I like it. It's a nice distraction from the terrible hurricane mess known as the U.S. Angela's like a walking encyclopedia of horrible stories and I can't get her to stop telling me about them. We're helpless, trapped in our apartment on the 16th floor, wading through the news and e-mail that just keeps flooding us. I think I'll go drown myself in a poem before hitting the sack...

No comments: