Monday, October 24, 2005

I heard that Wikipedia, a site I had been beginning to reference with more regularity, was blocked in China as of yesterday. It is one of the many great resources on the internet, maintained by users. It was a little difficult for me to locate tangible evidence about the block, aside from obscure IT and other technology sites, but I wouldn't consider myself a masterful internet user. Apparently, this is the second time Wikipedia has been blocked here. It seems strange that it would have been blocked at one time, later unblocked, and then blocked again, but that's just me. The more common blogsites have also been blocked in China for some time, as have sites with other sensitive content, not just the loose-cannon opinions of the masses.

Despite this kind of restriction, blogs continue to get more and more popular in places like China and elsewhere, which, for someone who condones proliferation for the sake of it, is a good thing. It's good on a basic level because it lets people write what they want to write. It's a writing revival! On other levels, the more creative among us have nurtured communities in which complete strangers can get involved and contribute to projects. Then all of the nooks-and-crannies people can dig around on the internet for it. The endless cyber-treasure hunt. Gen-X marks the spot.

One thing I don't like about blogs is the redundancy of information. Everyone wants to be the first kid on their block with the scoop. It's not unusual, I suppose, as bloggers strive for content just as news services do, but blogging allows for so much more. If your blog is just going to serve as a news service, I'm not going to read it.

No comments: