Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Well, the cold has been expelled from my body, but that wasn't the end of it. I had one more day of agony to live through. The cold turned into a stomach virus or I just ate something bad on the heels of the cold. Whatever the case, I stayed home from work yesterday to recuperate as I was weak from a sleepless night. I actually started writing this yesterday, but simply ran out of gas before I could finish.

I went to bed on Monday night feeling odd and remember playing the beginning of the same dream in my restless sleep over and over, as if something was starting but not finishing. I woke up at about 4AM Tuesday morning with a nauseous feeling in my belly. I got out of bed and drank a sip of water, which had the effect of making me sweat. I positioned myself nearer the bathroom, took another sip, began spinning, and relocated in front of the toilet which made a fine receptacle for the contents of my stomach which had begun rising against me. I felt better after that and after cleaning up a bit, but never did return to sleep.

Another two of my coworkers, Lisa and Katie, were sick on the same day, also. We all had different maladies and we weren't just sharing the same office virus procured from our students. When my coworkers are sick, they all call me and while I was talking with Lisa about my symptoms, I told her that every time I've felt sick while in China, the symptoms have felt different. That is, never before experienced by me. I've had runny noses and coughs and pains in my stomach before, but they have all felt somehow new. I'm not sure if it's just a result of being in a foreign country and feeling particularly helpless or if I'm just experiencing Chinese strains of these viruses.

I'm not running at full strength, but I have regained my energy, can keep down food, and have returned to work. As a side note, nauseous actually has some interesting facts about usage, if you find such things interesting.

No comments: