Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Yesterday, looking out the window to check the weather as I usually do when I get out of bed in the morning, I noticed that the air was a little thicker than it normally is, but I didn't think much about it. When I finally went downstairs on my way to work and exited my apartment building, I was shocked.

I thought, as is often the case, that some workers who had been working around the front entrance had simply left their mess, as there was a silty layer of dirt on everything around the front steps and doorway of our building. The air seemed to reflect a strange color. As I emerged from the shadowy entranceway into the supernatural light of morning and entered the parking area, I began to understand what had happened. Every surface was covered with a thick, fine, red layer of dirt. It looked as if it had rained dust while we had slept. I thought, optimistically, that something had happened in our neighborhood, that it was related to excessive construction or something but, as I made my way toward school, I could see that the dust had covered everything. I had never seen anything like it before.

There was as overcast and reddish sky all day long and we really needed a good rain to wash all of the dust and dirt away. Perhaps some were working to do just that. It magically sprinkled a bit in the early evening and then rained a little more heavily later on.

No comments: