Friday, June 02, 2006

Wake earlier than usual, approaching 5AM, and marvel at how noisy some can be at this hour, laughter and Chinese rising from the street sixteen floors below. Try to return to dreams with no luck as the early morning traffic begins its crawl. Lay in bed as long as possible with only the breathing of the bedroom and grey shadows on the ceiling. This beginning of a three-day weekend after being destroyed to sleep by heat and Children's Day (my students demanded to play a game) exhaustion yesterday evening...

Moving the curtain aside after making coffee and returning to the computer. Operating less and less smoothly every day. Looking out into another morning beginning, more of classic white-out Beijing, Friday, with still unfolding hours to go and no necessity of work this afternoon to interrupt the day...

I will leave the apartment in a few hours. I will go shopping among imitation China outlets for clothes and DVDs. I will buy socks. I will find another cup of coffee. I will go out and meet people. I will meet Angela at 6PM. I will go dancing tonight...

No comments: