Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The Countdown #16


powered by ODEO
Here's the latest episode of The Countdown, featuring William Carlos Williams. See what we put together for your audio weather. I failed to mention that I sniped some of my WCW blurb from bios by Linda Wagner-Martin and M. L. Rosenthal. Is it our best show yet? Since I put it that way, have you listened to the previous shows? Don't be shy. Even if you haven't heard the other shows, let me know what you think...

I look at quite a few blogs these days. Partly for the The Countdown and partly to know the enemy, although it's really much friendlier than that. I just want to say that blogs which are all text are just boring. I don't care if you're the next best thing to sliced bread. I like pictures, especially pictures which seem completely unrelated. Why not? This is a medium in which it's easy to add such content. More of you sloggy bloggers should think about this...

I tend not to observe the rules of grammar in e-mail. I try to make sure the spelling is up to snuff, but I generally rely on elipses as my standard punctuation. I like the implied continuation, the hang, and, possibly, the Herb Caen-ness of it. I also remember reading the Three Dot Lounge in the Green Sheet when I was a kid. If it wasn't for the question mark, the elipsis would be my favorite punctuation mark. Anyway, certain people seem to discount remarks if they're not grammatically correct according to rules of standard English and, well, then they're just missing out...

On the other hand, I pay particularly close attention to the grammar in my text messages, composing messages with all the necessary commas, aposptrophes and periods. I'm not sure why. Although I love all of that abbreviated language and suggestion in text messages, I'm simply not a practitioner. Actually, I steal that stuff and add it to my poetry...

If you've ever left a comment on a blog, you know you're often required to enter not only your name and password, but also another random string of letters. They're always distorted in a kind of psychadelic way to, I suppose, foil the i-spiders. If you've left many comments on blogs, you know what I'm talking about. Anyhow, this procedure just strikes me as kind of weird...

No comments: