Monday, June 16, 2008

Father's Day in America & Catch-Up

Vito with PinwheelMy first Father's Day in America and, truth be told, my first real Father's Day. Last year, I was in Italy and Father's Day is celebrated on St. Joseph's Day there, which, if I'm not mistaken, is on the 19th of March. Vito was still a few months from seeing daylight so I didn't really have much of a Father's Day.

This morning, I woke up a little before seven, happy that I had awoken to a quiet apartment. Then I heard Vito's "Dadda" from his bedroom and got up to see what he was doing. He was just standing up in his crib with his arms over the side wide awake. I picked him up and he pointed to a kite hanging in one corner of his room and said: "Duhdah." Then he pointed to a picture on the wall and said the same thing. In the kitchen, he dubbed the light and the clock in the same manner with the same gesture. Despite the fact that he has a larger vocabulary and even though he can distinguish various different objects, he points and utters this variation on "Dadda" at nearly every opportunity. It's funny.

Anyway, aside from Father's Day, for which there was a BBQ at my cousin's, today is also Vito's onomastico or name day, as well as Angela's birthday. We all three had a reason to celebrate and, for good measure, I purchased a couple SuperLotto Plus tickets.

On a more mundane note, I enlisted to teach summer school and that begins tomorrow. *sighs* I probably should be working on lesson plans or something more preparatory than blogging, but I'm not.

Virginia City, Nevada - Gambling Museum IIWith only one week off between the end of the regular school year and summer school, we drove up to Reno last Sunday and spent the next four days with my parents who recently relocated there. We had a great time visiting Lake Tahoe and Virginia City with Grandma and Grandpa Marcacci! One of the most memorable attractions I saw was the tiny Gambling Museum in Virginia City. Some of the old slot-machines awarded players gum balls or cigarettes instead of coins. Virginia City was also, for almost two years, the former residence of Mark Twain, and many of the local attractions were named after him.

Well, it has taken me nearly an hour to complete this post—more time than I had wanted to spend on it—but you're all caught up and I can rest easy until my next post.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.