Sunday, March 09, 2014

Oulipost Assignment #1

I joined The Found Poetry Review's Oulipost 2014 challenge for National Poetry Month next month, and, in a nutshell, agreed to write a response every day based on particular criteria using text from my local newspaper. For the uninitiated, from Wikipedia:
Oulipo...short for FrenchOuvroir de littérature potentielle; roughly translated: "workshop of potential literature") is a loose gathering of (mainly) French-speaking writers and mathematicians which seeks to create works using constrained writing techniques.
Sound interesting? The first assignment, as indicated by the post's title, requires me to respond to the five questions that follow.

1. WHAT EXCITES YOU ABOUT OULIPOST?
I'm excited to read work by and interact with a number of other people who will be going through the same process. Writing every day is also appealing, especially as I don't have to generate the ideas. It will be interesting to see what common threads will be revealed in the different responses as we'll all be using 'pop' text.

2. WHAT, IF ANYTHING, SCARES YOU ABOUT OULIPOST?
I'm not sure if I'll have the time to complete the activity every day.

3. HAVE YOU WRITTEN EXPERIMENTAL OR FOUND POETRY BEFORE? IF SO, TELL US ABOUT IT.
Having utilized such techniques in my own writing process for a number of years, it's a natural fit. It's nice that there seems to be so much enthusiasm about oulipo these days. When I first started writing found poetry in the late 80s and early 90s (which later morphed into something more methodical, and, possibly, subconsciously, driven by an increased reliance on digital texts), it wasn't so well received by my peers. Perhaps, I was hanging with the wrong crowd.

4. WHAT NEWSPAPER WILL SERVE AS YOUR SOURCE TEXT?
Gulf Times published in Qatar. 

5. WHO’S YOUR SPIRIT OULIPIAN? 
Italo Calvino. I like his books. Perhaps, by extension, Marcovaldo.

3 comments:

beth said...

Hi Bob! Welcome, and thank you for participating in Oulipost. -Beth Ayer

Bob said...

Looking forward to it, Beth!

Carolyn Widmer said...

I enjoy a couple of from the Information which has been written, and particularly the comments posted I
http://awriter.org/customwritingscom/ will definitely be visiting again