Friday, April 04, 2014

Oulipost #4: Fibonacci (Variation)

Using words from Joey Aguilar's article "Power Switch-Off in Msheireb to Affect Thousands" in today's Gulf Times, I puzzled together this Fibonacci (1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, etc.) variation. I stopped at 21, which was when I ran out of words to work with.

low-income

expatriates


scheduled disconnection


a statement repeated


seven days ago through notices


project Nepalis, Bangladeshis, Pakistanis, Indians and Sri Lankans


it could have been easier based on an agreement between Doha and police


the world's first downtown regeneration, closed during Fridays, is a flagship designed to preserve the historical heart including an entertainment hub



After completing the above and looking at a few other examples, I looked at the instructions again and realized I completed the challenge incorrectly. As is detailed on The Found Poetry Review website, I should have chosen "words that correspond with the numbers in the sequence." So I should have taken the first word twice, then the second word, and so on, instead of what I did. Anyway, my do-over follows using the same source article.

Thousands

Thousands
of low-income expatriates

mostly shops will water

are residents

problem Homoud

given in

I did not like that result as much, so I decided to look for a different article and use Mr. Luman's ouliposcript to crunch the letters faster. After a few spins, I settled on this AFP/Perth article entitled "Malaysian PM 'will not rest' until MH370 found" and scripted this:

Malaysian

Malaysian Prime Minister Razak
“we the Australia the people found,”
the said it engineers. 

3 comments:

Bob said...

Thought I would bury another Fib in my comments section for the hard corps:

With
With the implementation
large gearing population
gross projects
growth year
forecast
in hydrocarbon

Source
John, Pratap. "Qatar real GDP growth seen at 6.8% in 2014 on infrastructure and population boost." Gulf Times. 4 Feb. 2014.

Nancy Chen Long said...

Wow, you uncovered some great lines in your sequences. I especially like "mostly shops will water" and “we the Australia the people found".

Bob said...

Thanks for peeking, Nancy!